Our first action of the day was to try and reserve the ferry to the mainland. Unfortunately all spaces were booked and the first available sail was for Saturday 3/12. Next we paid a visit to Geraldo’s VW garage. We had paid Frenos Jalisco for the 3 days of work they did removing and installing the clutch ($300) but had not yet paid Geraldo workshop. Although they did a fair amount of work to establish that the clutch was broken, he only charged us some $30 for parts and labour. Because we were so happy that the camper was driving again we bought a cake and dropped it off at Frenos Jalisco to thank them for their speedy work.

Since we had some time over and to experience the real attraction of this peninsula, we drove out of La Paz and stayed at one of the many beaches south of town. It is conveniently close to the departure point of the ferry. At the start of the sand road along the beach (Playa Tecolote), there are some small restaurants and places where you can rent paddle boards and jet skis. We drove further south along this sandy road. You could see the high water mark so we decided to drive a bit further up on a dune. Here there were several long term camperers. One Italian father/son combination, one 73 year old Canadian snowbird with his large trailer and after that some people in a large old bus with hippy decoration. The wind was not too strong and gave enough cooling so you could enjoy the sunshine. Rudy had his first dive of this trip into the salty sea while Jamaliah enjoyed the view of the flocks of pelicans demonstrating synchronised flying and diving into the waves to catch the small fishes swimming in the surf. Each time we thought they would crash into each other. Obviously their dives were more controlled than they looked. It was a very relaxing afternoon and evening. No noise from any cars/trucks or radio’s. Just the lapping of the waves on the beach. It cooled down significantly during the night so it was nice and warm under the sleeping bag.

After a lay-in we took a walk along the beach before packing up and driving to the ferry to try our luck of getting a space. The earliest the booking office could reserve a place for us was for Saturday 3/12 (in 4 days time). That ment that we would have to drive long stretches to get to the boat in Vera Cruz (on the East side of Mexico, some 1300km) in time. Fortunately for us, the boat departure was delayed by 5 days. We were very lucky today and somehow managed to get on the ferryboat.  

We had paid for a sleeping cabin. Unfortunately there were none available on this sail. They give you no refund but only a voucher for your next trip. Not much use for us. Later on board, we were told that they had only one master suite available for US$150 which we declined. The whole sail was already expensive enough, so we settled ourselves into the reclining chairs (together with other passengers) watching endless old and new movies on the large TV screens (all in Mexican of course).

The camper was loaded in a closed off section at the front of the boat. To get down there, there is a large platform lift which can hold 2 car/campers at a time. Needless to say that this is very time consuming process when loading but also unloading.  We were one of the last to come off the boat. From Mazatlan we drove south on the toll road for some 284 km (crossed 4 toll booths  costing us in total US$60) and found a nice campsite in Tepic. There are several other European Overlanders at the camping. Maybe they came off the same ferry.