The sun was shining and it was cool. Ideal to visit the 3 items we had selected. We were even too early for the museums. The first was the Artus Court. It was built in 1490 by the rich merchants for meetings and parties. Despite the total WWII destruction is was rebuilt and redecorated based on old photos and drawings. Unique are the 3D wall paintings with antlers and dear heads sticking out. The highlight is the giant Renaissance tiled stove in the corner of the main hall. The tiles depict local historical figures of that time.
The second item on the list was St Mary’s church (1343). It is the largest old brick church in the world (105 x 66 m) and could hold 25,000 people. It started as a catholic church but in 1572 was converted to a Protestant church, which is clear from the sober whitewashed walls and limited number of statues. Now it is a catholic church again. Besides climbing the tower (410 steps, 82 m) the main attraction is the Astronomical clock (1460) which shows not only time (hour, day, month, year) but also phases of the moon, zodiac cycle and the calendar of the saints. It was restored (1990) and now works again after 437 years.
Next we went into the large town hall (1330 – 1580), which houses the Historical Museum of Gdansk. It has some lovely very decorative meeting halls with large paintings on the ceiling. Most artistic and work was done by Flemish and Dutch artists. The houses in the street have a similar look to the ones in Amsterdam. The exhibition concentrated on the seizure of the city by the joint French and Russian troops in 17xx and the fleeing of the king.
At around 14:00 hrs we direct Passepartout to the west for the last stretch home. The road was busy so progress was slow (429 km). At 19:00 we crossed into Germany and checked in at the first campsite some 40 km down the road.